When Faith and Love WIN and Logic FAILS…

As I mentioned in my last post – my sister-in-law Sarah was diagnosed with adrenal cancer in April 2010. Each successive scan showed the cancer was spreading and tumors were getting bigger.  For the first time since we started doing scans after her surgery, we got a promising scan in May 2011 that showed some stabilization in her tumors. This was the only good news we had received in over a year.

Sumit and Sarah Indian WeddingThen, however, her condition  kept on getting worse. At this point nothing seemed to be working, and the chemo therapy started to take toll on her body.  And her latest scan results again showed continued growth with wide spread tumors, failure of basic bodily functions and frequent overnight trips to the hospital.

By October  2011 the few doctors that had not given up hope also gave up and the doctors at UNC and Duke sent her home to hospice care. At this point we stopped all 28 of her medicines other than the pain killers.  Later that week, she realized that she could not walk or move around on her own. This for family and friends was the beginning of the end of hope!

Even with words of sympathy from family at this point Sumit and Sarah had not given up hope. They have accepted that God might take her but believe with all their heart that miracles do happen!! They both are at peace with whatever will happen. Meanwhile as a long shot, we had been in touch with a homeopath doctor in India who has been extremely helpful and seems like another God’s person. He decided to put us in touch with another homeopath doctor in Mumbai  in the first week of October. This Mumbai doctor has done Phd in “Cancer in homeopathy” and travels all over the world for seminars. He has authored more than 50 books.Obviously the Mumbai doctor refused to take Sarah’s case. Our previous doctor tried again and he again refused since he was very busy and it was difficult to treat her without seeing her. He finally agreed to take Sarah’s case on our third request. He told us that he can see Sarah at the end of October when he comes to New York.

I wrote another email to the Mumbai doctor that Sarah might not be able to make it to the end of October and told him couple of other things. He was surely being guided by God that he himself offered to fly the next day and see Sarah at her home in North Carolina. I asked him “What changed your mind?” and he replied ” I just had a gut feeling that I need to go and intervene”.He did everything for Sarah on humanitarian basis. He came on Oct 12, 2011 and stayed overnight at her home. He observed her, talked to her and prescribed her medicines and some home remedies and then flew back to Mumbai the next day. He plans to see her again at her home in the last week of October. May God bless him.

Mumbai doctor told us “Its a very difficult (almost impossible) case. Its too late. However I have seen many miracles in my career and I surely want all of you not to lose hope. Anything is possible in his kingdom. Pray as much as you can because PRAYERS ARE VERY POWERFUL. Medicine and other treatments are like the letter “C” which is open and incomplete and Divinity (God) is like the letter “O” which is closed and complete. Never lose faith in divinity which is whole and complete. Even when all organs seem to have shut down, our body has the ability to heal itself. You need to have a strong faith to exercise that power to heal. Be prepared for the worst but PLEASE don’t give up hope. Mental attitude of all the people around her will affect her health.

Five days back Sarah was in such a bad state that she needed help even to change her position on the couch. She could not stand on her feet. After the Doctor’s visit, Sarah’s condition started to get little better and her sleep got better. She is in much better spirit. Now was this a result of the Doctor’s medicine, or the faith that helped deliver the Doctor to Sarah at the time of her need?  No one will ever know. What we do know is that the Doctor’s visit revived her will to live and to fight. We all are prepared for the worst but we are truly hoping for the best.

The day after the doctor left, special friend of Sarah who she last spoke to 10 years back heard Sarah’s story and sent her last  remaining bit of holy water that she had obtained in Libson,Portugal when she visited Fatima. While most of you might laugh at the thought of considering homeopathy and holy water for a cancer patient, I feel that when God has to heal you then it could be through ANYTHING.

Yesterday it was Karva Chauth where wife prays and observes fast for the long life of her husband. Sarah did not fast this year as our goal is to get food in her :)   However, she excitedly wanted to participate in everything else. She put henna on her hands and wore an Indian outfit. With her condition, she took over five hours to get ready.  Around 11pm last night, she got ready and sat together with her husband Sumit and viewed the moon through her window (she is unable to leave the home), through a hole in a cookie and said prayers for each other!  They both strongly felt that she is going to make it through this.  She is overwhelmingly happy about her life.  Imagine that, after everything she is going through, if this is not the presence of God and faith, then what is it? I was amazed at this power of love and determination. Here is Sarah’s picture during the Karva Chauth’s pooja.

I personally believe in God and miracles a lot. I believe that our body has MUCH more power than our human mind can ever comprehend. My heart says that she will make it through and if not then there must be a reason behind it.

PRAYERS ARE VERY POWERFUL. I sincerely request ALL OF YOU, your friends and family to pray for her. We all are connected. Each and every prayer of yours will help in her healing. Thank you very much !

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to When Faith and Love WIN and Logic FAILS…

1. Nitesh says:

Prayers are indeed very powerful. I wish and pray with all my heart for Sarah’s speedy recovery. God Bless, Take care !

-Nitesh

2. Sandra Lasater says:

Praying for Sarah continuously and BELIEVING with you for a miracle. May God richly bless and surround each and everyone of you with HIS grace and mercy, strength, and the PEACE that surpasses all understanding. Sandi

3. Kelly Marshburn says:

I used to work with Sarah and Suzanne Montague. Praying for Sarah…I know God can heal and He performs miracles today. Please look for and pray “Healing Scriptures” by Joyce Meyer (found online).

I ask for God’s peace to be with you and Sarah and Sumit.

Kelly

4. Kathy Lindsey says:

“For nothing will be impossible with God”
    Luke 1:37

5. JF says:

Sarah looks so beautiful, even as rotten as she may feel. Her endless display of strength and love and hope is so inspiring to me. Samit, who I have never met, seems like the most wonderful, loving husband to her. I am so happy to see my friend surrounded by such a loving and devoted family. I am praying for you every day.

(also, it’s Lisbon, Portugal…but who’s counting? ;-)

6. Harmony says:

Shweta, Thank you so much for this post and update. Jesus’ presence with Sarah throughout the past year and a half has been so evident! Thanks for the reminder that miracles do happen, and to keep praying. You are such a great sister-in-law!

7. Lisa says:

Shweta, such beautiful and uplifting thoughts are so greatly appreciated. Thank you for reminding us of the power of hope and prayer to our Lord! Sarah has been an amazing example to so many on how to truly live, hasn’t she?

8. RAGHUNATHAN says:

Yeah, GOD is great. Myself prayer for her. She will walk, laugh, and become a normal human. GOD IS WITH YOU SARAH. DON’T GIVE UP YOUR HOPE.

9. Sainath says:

hridi sarvasya visthitam” (Bhagwat Gita: Chapter Thirteen verse 18) i.e., God is omnipresent.
    Only sometimes he does act in mysterious ways.

May Sarah have a very long and happy life.

10. Ashish says:

Hi Shweta.. I believe that all our faiths and best wishes are with Sarah. Yes miracles do happen as they are the result of ‘things that we want very badly’. Some of us call that hope rest call it faith!! GOD IS WITH YOU SARAH..

11. priyanka says:

hey di..we all here are praying for sarah…and believe tht miracles do happen as a result of our faith in god…we all wish sarah and u all fight back ths phase and come out of it very soon…wish a lovely and a long life for her..

12. Richard Hess & Brenda Williams says:

Hi Shweta, We have Sarah and all of you in our prayers. Thank you for keeping us updated on Sarah.. If we can help in any way please let us know.
    God is in the sadness and the laughter, in the bitter and the sweet. There is a divine purpose behind everything — and therefore a divine presence in everything.
    xoxox

13. kiran says:

hi sarah,

if god is listening to my prayers, i ask him to give all my happiness and my good luck to her.

14. Prakash says:

I sincierly pray for sarah to get out of the disease.

15. Sanjana says:

God bless Sarah always! A miracle will occur..

16. Soyuz says:

Go Bless Sarah and all of you!!!!

17. umesh says:

god bless sarah

prayer

18. “Some are born old, some die young” – God bless your sister – Miracles do happen!

19. Emily says:

I knew her as Ms. Lindsey long ago. She was the most beautiful person I have ever met, both inside and out. She was so strong and so determined. I prayed for her long and hard these past few months. I’m glad that she is home now and has been released from the suffering. We love you Sarah!

20. Neha says:

May God Bless Sarah..

21. Suchitra says:

Wow!!! its superb one till now i ve not read it …. Keep smiling sarah

22. Shraddha Dave says:

Sarah is really beautiful and i am sure miracle will happen. My sincere prayer to God and i wish her get well soon. Hat’s off to sumit who is so supportive and such a good husband.

Shweta keep writing. your lessons are lessons of everyone and are inspiring. Keep motivating

23. Dimple says:

God is definitely with u n will Bless U Sarah….

24. VARSHA says:

O GOD BLESS HER WITH HEALH AND WEALTH
    BLESS HER WITH MONEY AND HARMONY

O GOD BLESS HER WITH PEACE AND BLISS
    BLESS HER WITH WISDOM AND YOUR DEVOTION…………

25. Abigail Lim says:

May God bless Sarah. May His miraculous power bring healing to her body. In Jesus’ name, amen!