What I learnt today (Part 2)

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways”

“it can change someone else’s life forever.” – Margaret Cho”

Do not think lightly of doing good, saying “A little will not affect me.”   for-

Just as a water jar is filled up by falling rain, drop by drop,

the wise one is filled up with merit by accumulating it little by little”

No matter how small a good deed you may get to do, don’t think that it is not important, for if you habitually do small deeds, in the long run they will become big ones. I have seen that lot of times we feel like doing good things but we feel we don’t have enough time or money or we think if we want to do something then it should be something big forgetting that its the small things together that make a BIG thing.

I truly feel that in our daily lives without joining any social organization or spending money(if we can’t) we can do numerous things that will affect someone if not many.

It has happened with me many times that very very small deeds by people around me will touch me and will inspire me to be a better person. Those people might not even realize how much difference they are making in my life. Sometimes those people are your family members or your friends and sometimes just strangers. For eg

* Sometime back I was looking for ginger in a grocery store. I was in hurry so asked a female there if she knows where it is. She could not find it. While I was getting in my car, I saw her running towards me and said “Here is your ginger”. Looks like  she found ginger and was looking for me. When she was at the billing counter, she saw me going out so she bought ginger herself and gave it to me without even knowing how much I need. I was soo touched by it. I wished I became like her.

* Sometimes when you are in not so great mood, good attitude and smile of the person at the counter changes your mood. Sometimes when you are in hurry and someone gives you way, it makes you smile.

* Today when I came to work I saw pound cake lying on my desk. I found out that one of my colleagues whose dad is counting his last breaths made cake for her dad and she still remembered that I love pound cake and sent that for me.

Such deeds need nothing else but a little thoughtfulness, love and concern.  In my opinion all of us are capable of such deeds and it  affects not only the person for whom you do but so many others.

Lets start by doing very very small good deeds :)

This entry was posted in Positive thinking, What I learnt today. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to What I learnt today (Part 2)

1. Sanjukta says:

I truly agree with you. I really like all your writings and appreciate a lot. Your blogs are acting as a catalyst for many of our thoughts. Thanks a lot and keep writing. Take care.

Regards,
    Sanjukta

shweta Gupta reply on April 15th, 2010 11:14 am:

Thanks Sanjukta. I appreciate your kind words. Such comments always motivate me to write more.

Mit reply on July 26th, 2010 1:37 am:

nice..i agreed

2. Rajeev Gandhi says:

you are turning into a monk day by day. Do you not play pranks anymore with people? A story on that is due now. This “what i learnt” is now getting boring :D

By the way, even I would be touched if someone made a pound cake for me :P actually, I like wine cake.

shweta Gupta reply on April 18th, 2010 10:33 am:

Rajeev, thanks for your constructive feedback. I will keep that in mind. However I am not sure if you like philosophical stuff more or something else because last time when I stopped writing philosophical stuff , you asked for more of that :)

I wish someone makes you your wine cake soon :)

Rajeev Gandhi reply on April 20th, 2010 1:10 am:

Sure I like your philosophy. Its da best! But too much of something induces boredom :P . Got to mix it up :D .

3. Amit Mohan says:

@Shweta

I am not sure about others but I find all your posts very interesting and inspiring. Best thing about them is that people of our generation can related to them. It always make me feel good reading your blog. Keep writing good stuff.

shweta Gupta reply on April 26th, 2010 4:14 am:

Thanks Amit. One of my goals while writing is to make sure that people of our generation can relate to it. I am glad if readers feel the same way.

4. Aggarwal Krishna says:

You are so right. We usually ignore these small things without realizing how these small things can make a difference.

I think probably we can start with our family members. Most of the times we take them for granted. We can always start by being nice to them, doing thoughtful stuff for them.

Btw I am great fan of your blog and attitude.
    Thanks for sharing this Shweta.

shweta Gupta reply on April 26th, 2010 4:24 am:

Thats so true. At times we do take family members for granted and feel only if we do something for someone outside then only its a good deed.

5. Pandu says:

After long time back on your blog.Its Very much nice to see you posts on the blog.
    All post much helps me in my thought.

Thanks a Lot

Cool Dude…….

shweta Gupta reply on April 26th, 2010 4:25 am:

Thanks Pandu !

6. deepthi says:

i’m reading ur blog 4 the 1st time. i’m a person with positive attitude. i do little things for people when i get a chance. thr r times when the other person doesn’t even throw a thanks at u. it hurts. it may be giving thr purse which they had left behind or holding a elderly persons luggage in the bus stop. i dont say we expect a thanx from them atleast a smile. that motivates us to do more or f we r upset it lifts our mood up.so all u people SMILE it costs nothing and it may make sum ones day. wat more can we expect

shweta Gupta reply on April 26th, 2010 4:22 am:

Deepthi, I know what you are saying. Sometimes we don’t realize how much difference that smile can bring. I truly hope that I don’t and people around don’t do that mistake :)

7. Akhilesh says:

Hi Di,
    As usually one more great post from you. What happened there was a big break after the last one. Anyway ! you explained this very nicely. There are many ways we can make a great day for others, and i think this is the perfect way and the time for us to understand that Money is not the ultimate source for helping. There are various other ways also available for us to help people.
    Keep on writing plz, plz don’t take such hugh breaks :)
    hehehehehehehe :) , ok then
    take care
    Ak

shweta Gupta reply on April 26th, 2010 4:17 am:

Thanks Akhilesh. You are absolutely right. Lot of people even if they are willing don’t help others thinking that its only through money that you can help someone.

Probably all you need is some willingness to help and thoughtfulness.

8. Rathish says:

Hello madam, i thank you very much for your gud thoughts. Some time in last year, i was feeling very down and less confident due to few worse situations. I happened to read your writing and that point of time it was very much helpful.

Like mentioned in the above writing, a women helped you with ginger when in need, you please continue posting good thoughts. I feel it definitely helps many people. Thanks for your good intentions of helping others.

shweta Gupta reply on May 1st, 2010 7:25 am:

Thanks Rathish.I think reading definitely helps and sometimes reading something nice completely changes your mood but at times effect is temporary so I make sure that I keep reading good/inspiring stuff all the time.

I would continue to share things as I learn :)

9. Himanshu says:

its great to see how aptly you have expressed that simple things in life matter a lot..

infact that reminds me of a story which i am sure u must have heard..
    once there was a small boy who was throwing star fishes,one by one, back to sea since they were dying at the beach..a man, passing by, sneered at the boy and said that the boy was wasting his time and his efforts did not matter because the beach was full of such fishes..to this,the boy replied that his efforts mattered to all those star fishes who were surviving in the sea because of the boy…

after reading your post i really feel that life is indeed beautiful :)

Cheers!
    Himanshu

10. Aditi Parvan says:

I really liked your blog. You have written every thing true. Your image shows that you are really positive thinker and in present very less people are there who do not think positive including me. By your blogs I am definitely sure many people who will read this will change their attitude and will start thinking positively.
    Reading your blog I can say life is really beautiful and should enjoy it.

Regards
    Aditi

11. Priya says:

Hey Shweta
    Your blogs are amazing..very intresting,informative as well as motivational. I became big fan of your writings and read almost all blogs in 1 day. Keep Smiling!! :)

12. prasobh says:

Dear shweta,

a lot of inspirations am geting from ur thought..

its realy realy touching my heart

13. Bharadwaj N says:

Absolutely true. Little Deeds and Little Contributions will add up to BIG Effects!